I got called out on an emergency virus removal shortly after waking up this morning at 11:15. It turned out that my client was plagued with one of those viruses that spreads around on AIM. AVG Antivirus identified it as downloader.generic.hgt. I struggled with removing it for a few hours and then came across a few utilities that got rid of everything for good. Below, I’ve summarized the steps to remove this trojan that I found on the Tech Support Guy forums.
- Download and run AimFix.
- Download AlcanShorty to your desktop and run it.
- Running AlcanShorty will create a folder on your desktop called alcanshorty_en. Double click this, locate run.bat and double-click it.
- Run.bat will download an executable called BFU and a script to be run with it. This will download a file called BFU.exe and a BFU script. If your firewall asks for the download application to connect to the internet, allow access. When you receive a message that Alcan Shorty is done, exit the console window.
- In the alcanshorty_en folder, double click BFU.exe.
- Click the open folder icon. Navigate to the alcanshorty_en folder and select alcanshorty.bfu.
- Click Execute
- When this is done, download and run the Look2Me destroyer.
- Check the box labeled “run this program as a task.”
- Wait for the application to close and reopen. Once it reopens, click the button labeled, “Scan for L2M.”
- When the scan is complete, click the button labeled, “Remove L2M. Let the application restart the computer if it asks to.
You should be all set.